1. Cable broadband
2. DSL broadband
Configuring Router with Cable broadband is easy compared to setup Router with a DSL modem. In this tutorial we can see the steps to configure a wireless Router with a DSL broadband connection.
Step 1: Make sure you can go online with your modem
The first step is to make sure whether you can go online directly from modem or not. In this step you need to connect your computer to the modem and try to access Internet. If you are able to go online, you can continue to second step.
Step 2: Find the IP address of the DSL modem
To check the IP address of the modem which is connected to the computer follow the steps below.
Go to command prompt and type ipconfig ,press enter. The default gateway listed there is the IP address of the DSL modem. In this tutorial I assume the IP address of your DSL modem is 192.168.1.1
To know more about finding the login IP address of a modem click on the link below.
How to find Login IP of a Modem or Router
Step 3: Configure Wireless Router
To configure Wireless Router follow the steps below.
1. To configure the wireless router disconnect modem from the computer and connect router to the computer.
2. Power on router and log in to the Wireless router using its default IP address. You can find the default IP address of the wireless router from the user manual or by the method we used to find the IP address of the modem.
Say it is 192.168.1.1
3. Log in to the router by typing the IP address 192.168.1.1 and press enter. Enter default user name and password when it prompt. Normally it would be admin or refer the router user manual.
4. On the setup page change the router IP address to 192.168.2.1 and save settings.
Note: The reason for changing the IP address of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 is router and modem IP should be in different subnetworks.
Step 4: Connect modem to the network
To connect modem to the network follow the steps below.
1. Connect modem to the WAN port of the router
2. Connect computers to the LAN port of the router
3. Power on modem and after 30 seconds power on router.
Now the network will work fine.
Note: In some DSL modem the IP address may not be 192.168.1.1 , It may be 192.168.X.1 where
X = any number between 0 to 254 other than 1. In this case we can directly connect modem to the router as the network will work fine.
To know More about Router Configuration
1. How to Configure Belkin Wireless Router
2. How to setup Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G in PPPOE
3. How to Configure D-link Wireless Router