1. Possible virus infection
2. File system error
3. Software / driver conflict
4. Some windows files may corrupt
5. Windows update error
6. False settings in the security suit installed on your computer
These are some of the possible reasons for a computer which prevent it from booting in safe mode. The step by step procedure to troubleshoot this issue are:
Steps to fix errors while booting computer in safe mode
If you face issues with booting your computer in safe mode ,follow the steps provided below.
1. Try to boot your computer in all other safe mode options
On boot menu options window you can see other options like start your computer in
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Try to start your computer using these options.
[ To get in to boot menu keep press on [F8] button while your computer start booting]
2. Try to boot your computer in Last Known Good Configuration
If you have failed to boot your computer in all available safe mode options ,it is better try to boot your computer in last known good configuration by selecting that option from the boot menu.
3. Run Check disk and correct disk errors
The next troubleshooting step is to run the check disk and fix the disk errors. To do this type
Chkdsk / f on the command prompt. Please note that you must have admin right to perform this task. After fixing the disk error try to boot your computer in safe mode. If the issue persists follow the steps below.
4. Check the recently installed software/driver
It is better verifie that the recently installed software or drivers are not preventing you from boot your computer in safe mode. Try to update the drivers. It is recommended to perform a clean boot on your computer to rectifie the issue if it is caused by the softwares installed on the computer. To know how to perform clean boot on your computer,click on the link below.
How to perform clean boot and rectifies the software conflict
5. Check the settings on the security suit installed on your computer.
Some times the false settings on the security software (Firewall,AntiVirus etc) may prevent you from booting your computer in safe mode. So make sure that these softwares are configured correctly on your computer.
6. Possible virus infection
Another major reason which may prevent us to boot our computer in safe mode is virus infection. Some viruses stop safe mode booting in our computer. So it is better do a detailed virus scan on your computer with a reputed security suit. You can also do online scan if the AntiVirus installed on your computer got corrupted.
7. Update to latest service pack and run latest windows update
Another possible troubleshooting step we can do is run latest windows update on our computer and install latest service pack.
8. Repair Windows files on your computer
To perform this you need to boot your computer from Windows CD and press R to repair the windows files while it ask you the option to install or repair Windows on your computer. After repairing Windows files on your computer try to boot your computer in safe mode.
Last possible software troubleshooting steps are:
9. Reinstall Windows Operating System on your computer
10. Format your hard drive and reinstall Windows on your computer
11. Try to disconnect the hardware devices like RAM, Hard disk ..from Motherboard and reconnect it.
1. How to Create Windows 7 Bootable Emergency Repair Disc (ER disc)
2. Computer Restarts automatically - Reason and solution
3. Increase Laptop Battery life
4. Disk Boot Failure - Fix